Thursday, June 20, 2013

The Haves and the Have Nots

By Clare Shankle

I am constantly reminded of what I have since my journey in Uganda began. Having possession of something or someone is so rare to the children I have come to know and call friends. What my heart seems to be wrestling with now is the concept of worry and what that means to the privileged few of us reading this. I am re-creating the definition of worry. Worry: A stealer of joy and our trust for God as provider.

Wow! What an amazing experience to be here with Fields of Dreams Uganda. I have enjoyed seeing the vision of this organization come to life before me. The work that Fields of Dreams is doing is not only affecting the children it serves, but also the communities and ultimately building champions for the future of Uganda. The footprints of this work will far outlive the dirt under our feet.

Being a part of this trip has been a wake-up call to my daily existence. I have now seen what worrying should be about, not what we call it surrounded by family, friends, and material comforts. These children are without family and material comforts but yet, somehow possess more joy that any human beings I have come in contact with. What is wrong with this picture? The haves- worry. The have nots- joy.

I have met several young friends this week who's biggest worry consists of not being educated, not fulfilling their dreams, not helping their few living relatives if any, or not having a place to live. I can't help but imagine what my face would look like if this was my daily worry. I don't think I would mirror the faces I have seen this week. Their faces are a reminder to me that joy is a choice. It is also a reminder to me that worry is a choice. Yes, they can choose to let their circumstances steal their happiness and their love for others, but it doesn't. What a testimony to REAL trust in our Creator.  I want to live in trust. Their example has been my gift.

1 comment:

  1. Clare, I am speechless. Thank you! Praying for you all. Praying for all of us now!

    ReplyDelete