Sunday, June 16, 2013

A Heartwarming Welcome, Happy Father's Day

By Mike Warneke

The Dream Team had an exciting day of travel today via Chicago, Amsterdam, Kigali, and finally on to Entebbe here in Uganda. All things considered it was a fairly smooth travel day for our team. We had the blessing of getting to know one another throughout our flights and layovers, and anticipate together the journey that lay ahead. What amazes me, as the Executive Director, is to see how far FoDU has grown here in Uganda over the past year. I can recall being in Kampala last June of 2012, and being so excited to host our first FoDU Soccer Tournament for our partner schools, all organized by our incredible National Director Jonathan Ssebambulide. Tomorrow we will get to travel to one of our partner orphanages, Blessed Hope Champions Academy.  We will be accompanied by our four full-time staff members along with our #1 volunteer from Gulu as well. We will be breaking ground on two new soccer fields at partner campuses this week, and we will also be hosting our first girls soccer tournament as well. All I can say is that I am extremely blessed to be a part of this organization and it is such an honor to help guide it into the future. 

Today, June 16th just happens to be Father’s Day, and this is not the first time that I have missed celebrating with my special boys back home. We certainly had some festivities before I left, and I felt extremely loved and appreciated by my boys and my wife before my departure. However, as I read their goofy Father’s Day cards in the Amsterdam airport I was reminded how much I do miss them on special days like today. 

 Now I want to fast forward to our arrival at Entebbe International Airport. We just climbed off the plane, said a quick goodbye to Jars of Clay, who were on our plane and run an awesome non-profit Blood:Water: Mission, and through customs we went. After grabbing all of our luggage, which did arrive, we started to head out of the terminal and low and behold we are greeted by numerous faces of loved ones. Now it is always pretty special to be greeted by Jonathan and Josephine Ssebambulide, and even our Gulu volunteer, Denis Toolit was present,. But what absolutely broke my heart in the best possible way was when I saw my dear friend, and Ugandan son Dibya William waiting for me with a bouquet of flowers. I quickly embraced him, and he said to me in his soft-spoken voice, “Happy Father’s Day from all of your sons and daughters in Uganda.” I am a blessed man. I am honored to be the father to three joyous, funny and awesome little kids back home, but I have been blessed with countless other sons and daughters in this land that has become my second home. Thank you to Abby and the boys for sharing me with our extended family here in Uganda!

I am excited for our team to share throughout the coming week about all that lays ahead of us. I am sure we will be moved to laughter, tears, convictions, and the deepest joy imaginable in the coming days, and we hope that you will check back in throughout the week and join us on this journey. 

Mike Warneke

1 comment:

  1. Mike, thanks so much for sharing with all of us back home. Much love to our Ugandan brothers and sisters!

    ReplyDelete