Friday, June 21, 2013

A Visit to the Market

By Jennifer Wilson

This morning the Dream Team had the opportunity to visit the market with Josephine, Jonathan's wife. It's overwhelming when you first enter. There are so many beautiful items and smiling faces. Each vendor greets you with my favorite Ugandan saying, "You are most welcome." They don't pressure you or make you feel obligated.  They are simply inviting you to peruse their items and choose any
you might like.  The variety of items is astounding...paper necklaces, baskets, purses, scarves, handcrafted wooden items, artwork, and clothing. The craftsmanship and care put into these products speaks to the pride Ugandans take in everything they do.

As I purchased gifts, I wanted to buy from as many of the women and men as possible.  Their gracious thanks and the assistance they provided in selecting items gave the shopping experience a personal touch.  I found one women who paints truly beautiful watercolor renderings of African life.  I spent a good amount of time looking through all of her artwork and chose several pieces to take home with me.  I will think of this trip each time I see her paintings in my home and office.

As I walked around the market, I enjoyed watching the women making necklaces, baskets, and wallets.  Many of the vendors at the market are widows.  The women create beautiful handmade items and sell them to Ugandans and visitors.  They've found a way to support their families and create community at the same time.  The women work together to provide each other with change, share supplies, and support each others efforts.  It was so refreshing to see a group of people that take pride in what they are creating.  If you ever have the opportunity to visit Uganda, add the market to your list of adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment