Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Hope in God

By Ashley Brooks
 
As we leave Uganda, I have very mixed emotions. I am so excited to get home to my boys and family, but very sad to leave part of my heart here in Uganda. I have met some amazing children here, especially connecting with some of the older children through Dreams Plans. These children are so amazing, so loving, so genuine, and were so happy that we were concerned with their dreams and their goals for the next few years of their life.  I have also met some little ones that just needed a few hugs or for someone to carry them around for a little while. I was nervous that I wouldn’t get to interact with the little ones as much because of the soccer and education that we were doing, but I was so happy that I did. These children just melted into your arms. It was amazing what those hugs felt like (something I’ve missed from my boys), but also just what they needed that we give our children continuously at home.

“Command those who are rich in this world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment.”   - 1 Timothy 6:17

I also leave Uganda with a drastically different view of rich and poor and also the hope that Paul talks about in this verse. In the United States, the majority of us are very rich in things compared to these people but they are very rich in hope in God our Father. I sincerely go back to my life tomorrow with a desire for the hope that the Ugandan people and children possess. I desire a faith like many I have met like Denis and Jonathan. Their faith remains in God in all circumstances. I leave Uganda with a happy and sad heart but with a better hope than when I came.

No comments:

Post a Comment