Thursday, June 20, 2013

Back to the Beginning, Looking to the Future

By Rebecca Redd

I had the great privilege of returning back to the first place I really experienced Africa love, New Kabaale Busega. We visited there two years ago to deliver beds to the children and I was looking forward to being back. However, it was bittersweet because several of the kids I met and connected with in the last two years have moved on. Those kids were my first faces of Africa: Judith, Vincent, Christine, Julia, and Vivian. And now they're gone.

Sadly, that is what happens here. We make quick, strong connections with these children and staff members and then leave them. It is very hard, both for us and for them. When they ask if I'll be back tomorrow, next term, or next year, I always say something like "God willing" or "If God allows it." I don't want to make empty promises or say things that are not for certain. These kids have people come in and out of their lives all the time. The world and life moves on.

We get back to the US and inevitably fall back into our normal routines: work, school, family. Mike always says our worst sin is our forgetfulness, and this is very true. We come back from these trips so spiritually high, so inspired by what we see and do, but eventually it fades. This is why it is important to look toward the future and always remember the past.

This is my third trip to Uganda. I cannot imagine my life without it and I love being here. Our first day, Jonathan welcomed those of us who have been here before by saying "Welcome Home." I feel as this is my second home and I have family here. It is my responsibility to never forget my home and family. It is my responsibility to help them when I can, in whatever capacity that may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment