Monday, June 17, 2013

Returning "Home" to Uganda

By Tyler White

Well, I have been gone for far too long. Somehow, in only three years, I managed to lose touch with what Uganda is and how gracious its people really are. The Fields of Dreams Uganda team truly had an amazing first day, and it was special to me as I returned to the orphanage that I visited previously.

The first notable thing, as expected, was the greeting from the kids. Even though I knew they would swarm our bus a half-mile down the road, it was, and always will be, touching beyond words. I have never felt more welcomed or anticipated. It is so rare that a group of people could be that overjoyed to see you, and the entire experience was incredibly humbling. As we walked up the hill to the campus amid screams of laughter, dozens of children reached out for our hands. Thankfully, I faced my fears and picked up a child again… I did not drop anyone this time.

They then blessed us with many speeches and songs to say thank you for our presence. It was enlightening for me to understand what it truly means to them to have a safe soccer field and effective school supplies. It was so clear how dedicated these children are and how excited they are about the possibilities of their futures. It is times like these that really solidify the notions that Ugandans are simply different. They are different in that they are generous, gentle, thankful, and so full of joy. They embody those characteristics like no one else in the world, and I am ashamed to say I did not realize how much I had forgotten about these people. Truly Uganda is a place not just to visit once, but a place where I can build a second home.

I am so thankful that I got to be present for the groundbreaking of the first soccer field built by our organization. It was a monumental occasion, and the joy from the children was practically tangible. Also, while we were waiting on the bulldozer driver, I was reminded several more times what an amazing people these are.  

Three years ago, I had two or three conversations with a staff member at Blessed Hope, and my father gave me a hat to give to him. When I ran into this man at the groundbreaking, not only was he wearing the hat (more clean than when I gave it to him), but he also remembered I gave it to him, my full name, and my major in college. And if that wasn’t amazing enough, a moment later a group of girls tapped me on my shoulder. When I turned around, they asked me to sing a song with them that I taught the children those years ago—they knew more lyrics than I did. These interactions illustrated for me how important my individual presence is to them. I feel loved by people that have seen me only four or five times three years ago. That is unheard of anywhere else in this world, especially in the United States. These things, more than anything, effectively depict the gratitude and love that is at the core of this beautiful country. 

No comments:

Post a Comment