Friday, June 21, 2013

A Dream Realized

By Mike Warneke

As our work in Uganda grows it is evident that more and more dreams will come true. As the Executive Director for Fields of Dreams, I can honestly say that the FoDU Championship Tournament is one of my favorite days of the year. Because our work in Uganda is growing, there was a need this year to host the tournament on two consecutive days, as we add the first matches for girl’s football (soccer). I cannot describe in words the transformation that these children make as they dress in their uniforms and give there all through competition. I wish I could paint an accurate picture of the pride that is exhibited in their faces as they prepare to play in their matches.

I want to take you back a year ago. The day of competition concluded in a raucous celebration, with singing, dancing, and congratulatory hugs. As I was caught up in the feverish joy, and young women by the name of Nakato pulled me aside and she said with a serious voice, “Uncle Mike, when is it my turn to play football?” Well I am happy to say that the time is now.

Football is healing here in Uganda. It is the quintessential sport that everyone loves. It creates community, bridges divides, and brings healing to young men and women who are facing unspeaking challenges. This tournament is the culmination of our work with football, and what an honor to witness all that this day had to offer. After watching the first two matches, and even skipping lunch, to ensure I could see my dear friend Amos compete, I finally caught a glimpse of Nakato. As she, the team captain, was preparing her team for their upcoming match, I pulled her aside to get a gauge on her excitement. I simply don’t have the words for pride and excitement that spilled from her very being. She gave me a warm embrace and thanked me for following through on my promise last year.

Although the girls still competed in netball during this tournament, and did a wonderful job at that; it was clear that there was a great deal of hope found on the pitch for the girls at all of our partner schools. When goals were scored during the girls matches, the entire schools rushed the field to congratulate the one responsible for the goal. It was special for me to watch as Nakato stopped all of the penalty kicks taken against her, helping advance her team into the championship game on Saturday. This was a dream realized before my very eyes, as she was mobbed by hundreds of children who live at Vision for Africa. Dreams do come true, and today our DREAMS TEAM got to witness one that was a year in the making!!!

It is always a joy to see these children whom I love as sons and daughters compete. I get the opportunity of congratulating them after a victory, and comforting them after a loss. I watched with a pained heart as Amos, let a goal sneak past him, and his team from Blessed Hope fell to Vision for Africa. I cheered on my dear friend Eddie who plays for New Kabaale Busega, and they escaped with a victory during their first two matches, lining themselves up  to play in the Championship match on Saturday. This is right after Eddie told me his uncle, who is his caretaker, had lost his job, and he is no longer able to attend his secondary school.  So although my dear friend Eddie, is facing uncertain circumstances at the home front, he was nothing but smiles today as he gave his all on the pitch as a captain, and even found time to help coach the girls’ team to a victory as well.

Amos, a goalkeeper for the U-13 team at Africa Greater Life, is a sweet boy that I met on my first trip to Uganda in 2009. We have since had the opportunity to see one another on every subsequent trip that I have taken to the Pearl of Africa. He is a quiet and intelligent boy who loves the game of football. And today, he got to be my coach. During the course of the day, our DREAMS TEAM was challenged to play the host schools staff in a friendly match after all of the other games had ended for the day. Four of our team members, Ashley Brooks, Tyler White, Jennifer Wilson, and myself prepared ourselves to be beaten badly by the home squad. Thankfully we were allowed to play with Coach Peter, Coach Faridah, Jonathan, Toolit Denis, and other games teachers from our partner schools. As I prepared to play keeper during the match, I had Amos run me through a variety of drills to get me ready. He had me diving all over the place, and it was a joy to spend time playing with my dear friend. The match was a bit lopsided, and I let three goals get past, while taking a ball to the face off of the foot of Jennifer Wilson, I might add. Who was there to greet me when the game ended?  My coach Amos, to tell me I had played well. This is a memory I will not soon forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment