Friday, June 19, 2015

Tournament Day

By: Carl Vick


Today I experienced my first Fields of Dreams Uganda tournament. It was described to me as Christmas for these kids, and it did not disappoint. In a way, the tournament encapsulated and reinforced each of the lessons that I have been learning since arriving in Uganda.  From small encounters such as a young girl asking me, "Why do Americans love their dogs so much?" leaving me questioning our priorities, to envying the unexplainable joy that I see all around me. It was an eye-opening day.

The kids in FoDU's program are incredibly talented. The day began with a music and dance competition. I continue to be wowed by the fact that I am literally watching traditional African dances in real life. Next, the "football" began! 












Our kids are so talented, and soccer is their passion. It was an honor to get to witness the event that our kids train for all year. I was blown away by the passion and poise the players displayed. Many of the matches ended in shoot-outs with thousands of spectators huddled around the net. Girls and boys boldly stepped up and took their kicks. The joy at the end of a match was overwhelming. Cartwheels, screams, and smiles abounded.



The night ended in rain during the awards ceremony. As I whined about getting wet, I was struck by the fact that our kids would be walking home from their schools in the dark and in the rain, and they do so on a regular basis.

The biggest thing I have taken from today is: there is always joy to be found, despite the circumstances. Despite rain, the lack of proper shoes or a decent ball, or even if they won or lost, the children of Uganda have an underlying joy. They do not require the extravagance of possessions that I often feel that I need. There is joy to be had by doing things you love with people you love. This is a lesson I hope to take home with me and remember as daily life resumes

No comments:

Post a Comment