Thursday, June 18, 2015

African Safari

By: Madeline Stone

I never thought I would be able to cross "African Safari" off my bucket list, but I can now! Today our team traveled to Murchison Falls National Park to view the waterfall that flows into the Nile River and drove through the African savannah to spot wildlife. I got the privilege of witnessing the stunning land of Uganda. I saw giraffes, warthogs, baboons, water buffalo, Ugandan kob, elephants, and many more strolling through the lush green landscape. On the river, there were several hippos peeking out of the water and a few crocodiles lounging on the bank. The waterfall the park is named after was beautiful and powerful. It felt surreal to be surrounded by so much beauty! I'm so blessed to have had this experience with my teammates.


Today was a day for our team to take a "break", but I found myself thinking about the children many times throughout the day. My mind wandered to Sunday, when dozens of singing children happily welcomed me to their school. I thought of Tuesday, when a few of my teammates and I were taught how to play a dancing game with some of the kids, and when a sweet girl told me "good job" after I was started to get the hang of it. My thoughts were filled with scenes of children smiling back at me when I waved at them. I now realize that there is no escaping! And that is a good thing! The awesome children of Uganda have forever left an impact on my heart. I have enjoyed the moments I got to spend this week being around and playing with some of the kids when our team was not doing integrity training with the young men. I love that I got to make some of them smile, even if it was just for a few minutes.  Tomorrow I will be attending my first Fields of Dreams Soccer Tournament and I cannot wait to see the joy on the kids' faces when they get to be a part of something this huge!

1 comment:

  1. African safaris are really a fun, but before going read book on african hunting safaris , this can save your time and money.

    ReplyDelete