Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Joy, Sorrow & Conviction

By: Mariza Gaviao



Four days, in the grand scheme of things, feels like such a small amount of time, yet in other aspects, four days has been more than enough time for me to fall in love with Uganda. In just four days I have experienced more joy than I ever thought possible but conversely have felt such sorrow and conviction.

Joy has come in so many unexpected forms. From the smiling faces and laughter of children who have so little but find amusement in the smallest things.  They laugh when we attempt to brokenly speak their native language and say, "How are you?" They cannot contain themselves when we try to dance as they do or join in their games. They eagerly wait to introduce themselves and politely curtesy and shake our hands.  These children are so excited to share their successes with us.  Many have worked so diligently to pass their exams or improve upon their English. I was especially moved in hearing the countless girls share their gratitude for the hygiene kits provided by Fields of Dreams in February. At Bungatira Primary School their female enrollment increased by 25% after the hygiene kits were distributed. Over 100 additional girls now attend that school because of all who donated towards that project.
Dancing with the kids!


Sorrow and conviction overwhelms me because there is still so much more work to be done. One cannot undo the pain of the past and finding healing from such tragedies takes time. Although I do not fully understand God's plan, I know that he is a loving God whose heart aches for the people of Uganda.  I am confident that He is at the center of all the positive changes that are occurring in this country and that these convictions are placed in our hearts only to move us towards making an even greater impact.  I find myself continually asking God what is next. How do we help more children?  How can we influence more schools to have a warm and inviting school climate? How can we ensure that these children have a meal during their school day or clean water? How do we help each child feel valued and loved and not exclude any? How do we assist these teachers in the daunting task of educating on average 60 to 90 students? As a teacher myself, I cannot fathom teaching a class of 60 five year olds even with the conveniences we take for granted in  American classrooms. These Ugandan teachers do so everyday: without technology, many without electricity, and very little to no classroom resources.  Although more money may seem like the solution, so much more is needed.  It takes innovation, effort and much perseverance to turn around any school culture.

However, I am confident that with God at the center anything is possible.  I know that I am not alone in my compassion and love towards these children. But most importantly, as my sister so kindly reminded me when I began this journey, God loves these children so so so much more than we ever could. Jesus said, "Let the children come to me and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these." Matthew 19:14

No comments:

Post a Comment