Sunday, July 26, 2015

Appreciating Joy

By: Robin Winkles

What a fantastic first day in country we had! If we had to get on a plane back to the US tonight, the experiences we had and the memories we made today were profound enough to last a lifetime. The moment we pulled onto the school campus, the children and staff of New Kabaale Busega Boarding School were lined up and ready to welcome us, and their hospitality and welcoming spirit never waned. We worshiped with them, we played soccer and frisbee and volleyball with them, we watched them sing and dance and play, and when the day was done, we had hundreds of photos of their infectious smiles and joy-filled eyes. And while those photos will forever serve as priceless reminders of our day at the school, no amount of photos could’ve ever done our day justice.

Robin with the students at New Kabaale Busega
Sitting through the worship service at the school first thing this morning and hearing the Ugandan children sing familiar hymns is something I know I’ll never forget. Watching my 13-year-old walk out of the church holding hands with her new Ugandan friends warmed my heart. Sitting down with my new friend, Douglas, helping him make plans for his future was both incredibly humbling and absolutely rewarding. And watching my 11-year-old play “the best soccer game I’ve ever played” with a huge group of Ugandan children simply made my day.

Alyssa playing soccer with new Ugandan friends

There’s so much we can learn from these kids, but what I really took from today was how important it is to appreciate the joy in the little things. If the joy I experienced today is any indication of what the rest of the week has in store for us, we're in for a real treat. And considering we’ll spend tomorrow with the same precious kiddos who made our day today, we’re in for a LOT more joy. :)




Kylie and the New Kabaale Busega students

No comments:

Post a Comment