Sunday, July 26, 2015

Reconnecting with Henry

By: John Warneke


Today I returned to Uganda wondering how things would be different since my first and only other visit 4 years ago. There was no change in where we are staying except for the room.  We didn't get to our room until 2 am and therefore didn't meet our other team members until breakfast.
Our only school to visit today was New Kabaale Busega which I had visited 4 years ago. We arrived in time for the church service.  The first hymns were in English and familiar.  These kids are so enthusiastic and put their whole being into whatever they do.
Right after the service I met Henry, a young man I had met 4 years ago.  He is now 14 and said he walked a mile today to spend time with me.  We spent time asking each other questions.  I do get frustrated many times because I can't understand what the kids are saying and have them to repeat themselves.

Henry and John
Later the kids put on some skits and included all of our names in one of them and were so energetic.  We also heard from 3 older talented football (soccer) players whose lives have changed because of Fields of Dreams.  They have HOPE they will be able to play football at the university level.  They are also already men of great character and integrity, as was witnessed in their time of sharing.
It is evident that the lives of the children at this campus have improved drastically since my last visit. This is noticeable in the smiles on their faces, but even outwardly in the way the campus looks and the children’s’ clothes and shoes. Rose and her staff do such a great job.



My high today was being able to reconnect with Henry, as I was disappointed in myself the way we said good bye last time.  I also was able to spend time one on one with a 10 year old girl and help her fill out her DREAMS plan.  She wants to be a doctor and help people, and it was a joy to give her my undivided attention and simply be present in her life for that short period of time.
I have loved having the younger team members on this journey. It has been fun to watch them interact with the children at our schools, and they all did a wonderful job speaking when they were often put on the spot.

My only low today was having trouble communicating with the kids and teachers.
Tomorrow will be another exciting day.  About 6 kids came up to me today and asked about my wife, Jjaja Pat. The children here have an incredible memory and do not forget the volunteers that come and spend time with them. I am moved by their love of my own family, and it was a joyous day to be back in their presence once again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment