Friday, February 28, 2014

Life in the Balance

By Mike Warneke,

We have had two very adventurous days in Northern Uganda this past Thursday and Friday. When spending time in Uganda, it is quite easy to see the differences between our children at our partner schools in the Central Region and the Northern Region. Here in the north, very few children run out to greet you, it is a rarity to walk hand-in-hand with children across campus and the language barrier is much more noticeable as well. It is not a secret why this difference is present, the LRA and Joseph Kony are at the root of the problem.

As we drove to the home of Denis Toolit, our Program Manager in Northern Uganda, we arrived at his family’s home compound on the outskirts of the village of Pader. We had the joy and honor of meeting the extended family of Denis, his parents, siblings, and the many orphans that invited us into their lives. We spent the afternoon listening to firsthand accounts of the atrocities that plagued this part of Uganda for far too long. Justin, Denis’ older brother, shared many stories of how he and his brothers time and again outran the rebels, or hid just out of site as they looted their home. Some of the details of their stories cannot be repeated at the horror of what has been done to this region. But in the midst of the retelling of this pain and sorrow, I found one of the most kind and welcoming families that I have ever met.

As I spend over a month in Uganda during this journey, I will be missing the birthday of my incredible wife, Abby. Denis just happens to celebrate his birthday a day after Abby’s and so today, we celebrated both of their lives. We took a cake on a three hour wooden roller coaster ride to Pader, and along with Denis’ family enjoyed the celebration together. The Toolit family gave me a goat, which I have named Asher, and some roasted peanuts as gifts from my wife’s birthday. I was beyond humbled to accept these gifts on her behalf.

On the drive from Gulu to Pader, you are forced to drive through the small village of Odek, which just happens to be the village where Joseph Kony, the leader and commander of the Lord’s Resistance Army, grew up as a child. As we bounced through this village, I couldn’t help but acknowledge that there is darkness in all of our hearts. We are all capable of both good and evil, and hopefully we will learn to always choose the former. I will never condone the actions of evil men, but I have seen time and time again that light always drives out darkness, and in the end, good conquers evil.

I am excited for the day when there will no longer be a noticeable difference with the way the children interact with us at our partner schools. I am excited for the day when hope is alive and well in Gulu , just as we have witnessed at our partner schools in the central region. We are serving in the realm of development and not charity, so patience is key as we move forward. Being in Odek today, made me despise Joseph Kony all the more, however, it is through these atrocities that I have found a second home, and a growing family in Uganda. Our path in this life is just about as bumpy as the road we traveled on today, filled with potholes, twists, turns, and even the occasional dead end. Uganda was not even on my radar ten years ago, but I am committed for the rest of my life to ensure that the children of this nation find hope, and discover that their dreams are within reach.

1 comment: