Sunday, March 9, 2014

Experience It

By Chris Meier

I’m in Uganda!  Let me get that out of the way first.  I have lived in many places and this is like none of them.  You can tell that the population of Kampala is out growing the city infrastructure, but not far outside the city, it is beautiful.  Most of the housing structures are made with hand-made bricks. Everything is very manual here still, like carrying water from a well.  I could go on and on.

I have been involved with Fields of Dreams Uganda for years now, but this is my first trip to Uganda.  Our first day here, our team visited New Kabaale Busega and Blessed Hope Champions Academy.  At New Kabaale, we attended worship service.  Watching the children sing and dance was awesome and different, but what stood apart to me was their thankfulness and joy.  True thankfulness and joy to God, to each other, and to us.  Have you ever asked a child why they go to school and they answer with:  to encourage and inspire others, to have a purpose, to be successful, to be a champion.  You need to experience it to understand it.  I finished my time at New Kabaale playing soccer with the kids.  Most of the kids play with no shoes on a dirt rocky sloping field.  We are working to change these things.

Next we went to Blessed Hope Champions Academy.  I spent most of the time there with a handful of boys that where excited to share with me what they wanted to be when they grew up.  They had obviously been through our Dreams Plans process.  Frank said he wants to be an Engineer, so we connected and talked about that for some time.  He wanted to learn about me and my family and I wanted to learn about him.  These are the connections that Mike Warneke talks about; you need to experience it to understand it.  We played soccer with the kids and had to say goodbye too early, but I will remember Frank for the rest of my life.

In summary, if you have considered a trip to Uganda with Fields of Dreams Uganda, after only one day I can say do it.  You need to experience it.

No comments:

Post a Comment