Thursday, March 13, 2014

Stretched

By Shane Evans

It's been 30 days since we started our journey to Uganda. This trip has been full of so many thoughts and emotions, as we've visited over 3,000 orphans, and a few dozen widows. I personally have never been so stretched as a person in my professional, relational, and spiritual life, for such an extended period of time. At home, we can be stretched to our limit one day, but then we can go home, rest, reflect, and re-gather our thoughts for the next. As I prepare to return home in a few days, I can't help but think about how difficult it might be to re-adjust to normal life. When I say stretched, what I really mean is “outside of my comfort zone.” I personally struggle with a tendency towards selfishness in the form of introversion. I don't typically realize how introverted I am at home because I'm just living my daily life. I desperately need time for myself to think, reflect, strategize, etc. so that I can have enough energy to face the day. The LORD has shown me that though times of rest and reflection are perfectly normal and healthy for one's development, if we are one of his children, the world needs us. We are needed by the people in our communities local, and global. It's not right for me to habitually and consistently live a life in which so much of my time is burned up, just trying to “clear my head.” Simply put, we need each other. We are called to community in the Bible many times over. I have found on this trip that though I have been outside of my comfort zone most of the time, I have grown in a big way by needing to be encouraged by others, by being vulnerable.

Enough about me though, I must comment on the incredible Ugandan staff that Fields Of Dreams has so wisely invested in. I really had an opportunity to grasp the heart of Fields Of Dreams on this journey. The aspect of the organization that I most appreciate isn't that they are helping kids realize their dreams through education initiatives, or that they are giving tons of soccer gear to orphans; though these are highly important aspects. The heart of this organization (at least the Ugandan side) seems to be one of empowerment to people in each generation. I have seen so much passion in the children for the game of football, and for what Fields Of Dreams is doing for them; however what has impacted me more this time around is the passion and determination of our Ugandan staff. The 7 people that operate the program here are extremely impressive individuals. Jonathan, Dennis, Peter, Faridah, David, Florence, Walter and Massey are truly the foundation and backbone of the mission of Fields Of Dreams. Each one of them has so much wisdom on how to impact an entire generation of Ugandans. We have learned so much about who they are through their words, and by watching them work. I have learned some important lessons about work, family, and responsibility from these people. I can't help but leave Uganda with so much anticipation for the future because of the ownership and responsibility our staff here have taken. This is THEIR mission, and THEIR organization.

I think a trip like this can teach someone so much about themselves and the world around them. I didn't just learn about how to better exist in community, I learned so much about how the LORD chooses to use people to accomplish his will on earth. Overall, I am so thankful to have had this opportunity, and I'm sure that I will have much more to process and think about upon returning home. I would encourage anyone who desires personal growth to take a trip like this to Uganda. It's very stunning to realize how much more you can hear and see the LORD working in a place like this, with so many distractions that we're normally bombarded with simply removed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment