Friday, February 21, 2014

I Am a Better Person Today

By Pat Warneke,

Today we headed to Africa Greater Life to spend time with the beautiful children there.  Our greeting was way over the top  Behind the team we tunneled through hundreds of children jumping and screaming to welcome us.  I was enveloped by a feeling of total acceptance and love.
as the footballers were at the gate with signs stating “I train. . . to encourage and inspire others”, “I train. . .because I have a purpose on this earth!”, I train. . .to make this world a better place!”, I train. . .to bring my dreams within reach!” , I train . . . to be successful in life!” and “I train. . .because I am a champion!”

When we reached the assemble hall the boys football team was able to share with us what it meant to them to have traveled outside of their country to Arusha, Tanzinia for the larger tournament and to bring home the prize.  The pride and joy on each of their faces was indescribable.  The boys shared how they had been the first ones in their families to ever leave their country and the HOPE that they now have for a brighter future.  We are so very proud of every one of these fine men.

The children and staff  took us on a tour of the grounds which included the green house with young cabbage plants, an irrigation system, a cat fish pond, the new football pitch,  classrooms and some of the new dormitories.  The kids were so proud to show us their classrooms and the charts on the walls.  I love the pride they have in their home.

In the afternoon three of us nurses had the opportunity to share some basic first aid with the staff and the older kids. We had fun acting out what to do if you or a friend are choking, if you are in a room filled with smoke, or how to treat a friend who has stopped breathing.  Jonathan was our interpreter and everyone should now know how to take good care of their friends and their families.  Abdul, a young student in P-7 had all the correct answers to our questions and is one of many young students that dream of becoming a Doctor.  The kids at AGL are working with their teachers and with the staff of FODU to be successful in this world and to make it a better place.  I applaud each one of them and I do BELIEVE in their dreams!


I am a better person today for having spent it with the staff and children at AGL.

No comments:

Post a Comment