Saturday, June 28, 2014

The FoDU World Cup

By Henan Miller

As I told people that I was going to Uganda in June 2014 I always got the same reaction “but the world cup is happening then!”, and my answer was always the same one “I know”.

Today was the FoDU tournament and also the day that confirmed that missing a few world cup games was just the right decision. It has been an amazing trip where I got and will get to experience very unique feelings.

Six schools got to attend the tournament with both boys and girls football teams. We started very early with a band and a nice parade to the only pitch to host all 11 games. Many people from each school got to attend the tournament, staff from FoDU Uganda, the FoDU team from the US, and the Gulu community as well. The day was beautiful, a little hot for the foreigners, but great for a football tournament. And by the way, the games were only 30 minutes long.

I know what some of you are thinking, and the answer is yes. I got to play at least one game. I was super excited to play an official football game in Uganda. We also gave the referees a break and I was designated as the center referee. It was great to be part of this event at so many different levels.

The unique thing about our tournament is that we included a cultural/musical theme. Each school got to perform their own music piece in between games. Again, an amazing idea and a simple way to get to know these kids and schools much better.

There were winners and of course losers, but at the end of the day we are “slowly by slowly”, as Ugandans would say, accomplishing our goals as an organization.

Please consider helping others in Uganda via Fields of Dreams, or even others closer to you. You are making a difference, I promise you.


Thanks to my family, my friends, and the entire FoDU team from Uganda and the US. It won’t be long before my family and I get back to this country to get our son. Until then thank you!

1 comment:

  1. We love everything about this! The kids were especially excited to hear your story, and Zion said he will be playing futbol when we go to get his brother in Uganda :) love that your passions and burdens have completely collided!! Nothing better than that in life.

    ReplyDelete