Monday, June 23, 2014

Opportunity, Not Coincidence

By Dot Schucker

Today when I woke up this morning, I was instantly excited about my upcoming day. I was reconnecting with my favorite little buddy, Abdul. We went to Wakiso Primary School where we were greeted with dozens of children singing “you are welcome.” While I was smiling and greeting the children, I was secretly scanning the crowd looking for my Abdul. When I eventually found him, I had to fight the urge to tackle him with celebration. He had gotten so tall in just a year! My little buddy was starting to transform into a teenager and would soon (and easily) surpass me in height. He instantly had 100 questions about me. He has always been an inquisitive boy with an interest in how things work and what the average American life consisted of. This is partly why I fell in love with him in the first place. He is so intelligent and wishes not to be of average intelligence but to be the first in his class. To have as much dedication and motivation as he has at such a young age, truly astounds me.

                  He took my hand and showed me his world and his prized possessions. He showed me his dormitory room which was honestly better than I expected. He had his own bed and blankets with a case that had a lock on it. It did concern me, however, when I looked closer and saw that his case was broken and could easily be accessed by anyone. I understand wanting to have your prized possessions in a safe place. This should apply to him no matter what those possessions consist of. In the middle of our conversation, Abdul asked me if I played any games in college. I told him no and that I mostly focus on my studies but I do love to run. When I talked about running Abdul had a dark look come over his face and then told me something that I was genuinely not expecting – he had a heart problem. To learn this fact was a crushing blow to me as I know that the healthcare system here is not reliable and this especially applies to an orphaned boy. I asked him to further explain and all he could properly explain was that there was a hole between the chambers of his heart and that when he ran or walked for too long, he felt “needles stab his heart.” The nursing major in me immediately tried to calculate how much the surgery would cost for him to fix his heart. I came full circle when I realized how the universe is truly wonderful at putting those people in your life that need you the most. Was it coincidence that this Ugandan boy that had a piece of my heart has turned out to have a heart condition that prevented him from doing activities that I loved? No, I don’t believe in coincidences.


                  We eventually had to leave the school in order to make it to Gulu before it was too late. As we were taking that journey up north, I looked at my surroundings and the people who called this place home. How many others are out there with problems that can’t be fixed because of circumstances or where they live? How many Abduls sit while looking upon the other children who run and play? We always have an option to help no matter how little it may appear to others. I have so much faith in Abdul’s ability to turn into a great, intelligent man. I hope that he has that dream as well. After all, the hope has to start somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment