Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Empower, Educate and Advocate

By Lee Ann Pendergrass

I joined Fields of Dreams Uganda's summer trip because I believed in the mission. This is my 1st trip to Africa and my life's mission has been to empower, educate and advocate for deaf rights.  I was looking forward to Laroo Primary School in Gulu since this school serves both hearing and deaf children.

When we arrived the children were lined up outside the school to welcome us and they were singing a song that warms your heart.  I was grateful as my team members and I walked down the row of children.  My eyes kept looking for the deaf children.  I found them at the end of the line clapping their hands.  I was saddened that they didn't sign the song.  Yet I was so happy that I signed in American Sign Language, ASL and attempted to use Uganda Sign Language.

The deaf children were surprised that an American was thrilled to see them and wanted to go to  their classroom.  As I entered the room, the deaf children were attentive and happy to see me.  Their wonderful teacher had to interpret what I said in ASL.  I shared with them my experiences with deaf children with a simple visual aid of a photo album with pictures of deaf children in America doing different activities.  I gave the photo album to the teacher so she could read it to them and discuss my visit.  I also gave each a photo of my family.  They were so thrilled and happy.

While I was talking to the children, I looked around the room to see what is on the walls, did they have any books, pencils, etc.  All of the schools that I have visited in Kampala had many charts on the walls and the blackboards had lots of writings.  Yes, it is primitive but the teachers are doing the best they can.  The deaf children's classroom walls were bare. Very little writing on the board, no pencils, no paper for writing and no books to read to enhance their literacy.  This breaks my heart.  These children want to learn just like any other children but without any supplies- they are limited.  Education is the key to getting out of poverty.

The deaf teacher and I communicated about their needs in the classroom and in the dormitory.
The deaf children reside at school, yet the dormitory doesn't have any electricity!  Imagine being deaf, when it is pitch black at night.  How frightening it must be at night not able to communicate with their friends or having to go to the bathroom at night or get scared and can't really cry for help.

I know American deaf children have challenges in their lives. Yet, we must unite to help other deaf children in Uganda to be able to have hopes, dreams of fulfilling their purpose, and a real chance of a future.  I know we can't solve all the Ugandan deaf children problems but we can make a difference.  The smiles and hugs from them would never be forgotten.

Would you join me by being a part of the solution by getting involved with Fields of Dreams Uganda to help deaf children have successful lives?

1 comment:

  1. This is so awesome to see the impact you have made on their lives. They are learning that they "CAN" do all things through Christ. I'm reliving my mission trips to Jamaica's Deaf Schools through these posts and pictures. I'm continuing to pray for your mission there. Everyday.

    ReplyDelete