Saturday, August 1, 2015

Seven Days in Uganda



By: Becky Winkles

7 days in Uganda. Probably the most emotional 7 days I’ve ever experienced. Emotions of great extremes; both high and low. Relatively speaking, I’m a quiet and sometimes even shy person who really values her personal space…I’m not sure the people from Uganda really understand that kind of personality, and I’m beginning to think they might have the right idea. From the moment the kids at the partner schools (and sometimes even the teachers) see the van pulling up, there is a smile on their face from ear to ear until the end of the day when we pull away. Those kids radiate joy and it’s contagious. Every single one of them wants to know your name. Every single one of them wants to know your story, no matter their age. They are full of love and so willing and ready to share. Knowing and experiencing that…those are the high emotions.

At every school, there is at least one student who will remain in my heart long after going home. From New Kabale Busega, that student is Mugabi who is incredibly inspired and passionate about becoming a pilot. At Humble, it was a couple of older girls, Gertrude and Kristin, who spent a couple hours with me after the technology training playing basketball, netball and just being girls talking under a mango tree where they made me promise to remember them tomorrow at the soccer tournament ☺ as if I could ever forget. The little girl who made the biggest impact on me however, was Doreen from Wakiso, who only knew a few words and phrases in English but could speak with her eyes and smiles in such a way that words were almost unnecessary. Our first day at Wakiso she was an 8 year old stranger who grabbed my hand and gave me a shy smile. She spent the entire afternoon sitting by my side, so close that she might has well have been sitting in my lap. She stole side-glances at me every few minutes to see if I minded her playing with the fabric of my shirt, picking at my nail polish or playing with my hair. How could I? She is adorable. The second day when I got out of the van and expected to see her among the kids rushing to greet us and smother us with hugs, I was a little disheartened to not find her among the crowd. And then I saw her, in the very back, staring at me sheepishly as if she was just trying to see if I remembered her. My smile let her know I did and I was beyond happy to see her again. She ran and jumped into a hug that I’ll cherish forever. 1 ½ days with Doreen wasn’t enough, I can’t wait to see her tomorrow when we go back to Wakiso for the tournament. My heart breaks already, knowing that I have to say goodbye to her and so many others tomorrow and that…that triggers so many low emotions.

Over the past week I’ve shared life stories and created so many new memories with some of the most beautiful souls I could have ever hoped to surround myself with. Uganda is truly an amazing place with even more amazing people. They care, and they’re reminding me how to care too.

No comments:

Post a Comment