Monday, August 3, 2015

Hope is a Basic Need

By: Jennie Wellsand

Today was like Christmas to the students in the central region of Kampala Uganda. And somehow it felt like Christmas (maybe in Florida due to the hot weather) to me. The joy that took place at Wakiso Children's School of Hope was breathtaking. Today was tournament day for Fields of Dreams Uganda and the morning began with U-10 football matches. It never fails to perplex me how much talent are in these young boys & girls. I've made this statement before in prior blogs but watching these students (some being orphans) put on a soccer jersey with cleats and play on a good pitch makes you see them as champions....not a vulnerable child in a developing country. Seeing how soccer unifies the campuses & installs hope into the staff, teachers and students is humbling & an honor to experience.  







After the U-10 games our FoDU team was blessed by the MDD competition (music, dance & drama). Each partner school performed two 15 minute pieces that involved props, songs, actions and a story that embraced their African culture. Though I could not understand the language, it was amazing to see how much I could understand through their actions. It was also encouraging to see the hope that arose in each student at they performed & also as they watched their peers. The work, effort and energy that goes into these performances is outstanding - and probably just as exhausting as playing a full football match - have you ever seen a Ugandan dance?! 
The rest of the day consisted of football match after match. It was incredible to watch the younger boys and girls I first met during my first trip to Uganda three years ago now playing on the older teams - some are old enough that they cannot play! Those older students came to support FoDU, and it was amazing to see them there running the games! 



The girls Gulu select team came to the central region to play the Kampala select team. It was fantastic to see unity come between two different people groups. Their walls of brutal history came down as the blow of the refs whistle sounded and the ball was kicked around. Though the Gulu girls were planning on beating the Kampala girls 10-0, the result was a draw which I was pleased with...it's kind of like they both won?! I am so proud of everyone who played, performed an helped make this tournament happen! 


Today as I watched the games, enjoyed the music, and held a child here and there I realized how important it is to be instilling hope into these young people. When they don't have a hand to hold or a lap to sit in, they will have their Fields of Dreams medal from today to remind them that they are champions, they are blessed, that we love them, and that their future belongs to them. Most of these children, if not all, have hope in eternity & I often find myself being encouraged spiritually by them to see God's faithfulness. But to know that hope for tomorrow is a basic need & that these children can find that hope through the vehicle of soccer and education makes me happy. It makes me overwhelmed with joy to think that simple things like soccer and education keep these kids going. It keeps them from verging onto a path of destruction that they could easily fall into. It keeps them from giving up. As I write tonight I wish you could experience what I've experienced all day. I wish you could experience the pure hope, love and joy I experienced the whole day. Hope is a basic need and I pray you would share a little hope with someone like I was able to give and receive today.

No comments:

Post a Comment