Sunday, February 22, 2015

Empowering Ugandan Girls

By: Tyler Irick

Yesterday we began our day in downtown Kampala. The downtown area is a beast that you really can't comprehend without physically seeing it with your own eyes. But I'll do it my best to conceptualize it. The entire country of Uganda is close to the size of Oregon and inhabits close to 35 million with Kampala having four million alone. In any large city the downtown area is very populated. And with all of these people here there are not really any street regulations. No street signs, no street lights, no lane restrictions, etc. But as chaotic as this sounds it works like a clock work. Our driver Frank the Tank drives like a stallion. He makes any Nascar driver look like a fifteen year old kid that just received their learners permit. Once Frank got us to the market to buy our equipment half of our group left the van to go to the store. 

Once we were there we bought our stuff but unfortunately it wasn't that easy. The vendor didn't have all of the product that we needed because it was kept in another building. We also had to wait for our truck so we could load up and wait for our remaining products to be delivered to us. Since we were in Uganda we abide by Ugandan time. (Which I've learned is never on time) So we waited for three hours for the rest of our products. Once most of it was delivered we decided we needed to leave so we still had time to go to Wakiso. So we grabbed enough to make one hundred kits, and as they say, "When in Uganda do as the Ugandans!" So me and my good friend Ben picked up two soap boxes and carried them on our heads. And if i had a dollar for everytime I heard, "HAHA Funny Mzungu, they act like Ugandans," our job here would be much easier. (Mzungu is the Bantu word for white person) We then loaded up in our van, made another stop and went back to the Apricot house where we are staying to fix our kits. 


After getting the kits together we then left for Wakiso which is one of the schools we work with in Kampala. On our arrival to the school we received the best welcome I have ever received; 250 children singing and dancing because the "Muzungus are here!!' Once we began walking to them they gave us hugs and screams of cheer and held our hands as we walked to the schools. Immediately I saw a young boy wearing a deflated soccer ball on his head as a hat. And thought, "That's my kind of kid, we're going to be friends!" He came up to me very quickly and held my hand and began talking with me and asking me questions and I asked him questions. His name is Solomon and he is ten years old and his favorite class in school is physics. He was the sweetest little guy. And I can't wait to go back and see my new little friend compete in our football tournament! (Soccer) 


We then went into their class room and Mike and Uncle Jonathan had us introduce ourselves and once we got to who I was Mike asked the kids who remembered Auntie Dot and all of the kids raised their hands. He then proceeded to tell them that I was going to be marrying her and everyone erupted with cheers and clapping in excitement for the great news! I truly believe that just goes to show how not only beautiful of a person Dorothy is but also these kids. They remember us the exact way we remember them and are excited to see us when we're here. 


We then listened to a skit performed by four young girls about how having a monthly cycle keeps them from being able to go to school. They also expressed how Afripads gives them a sense of empowerment because they no longer are forced to miss school. It was then proceeded by a speech performed by one of the girls expressing how much Afripads helps and how thankful they are for the dreams teams. It was an incredible moment that is forever embedded in my mind. After these events the boys went outside so we could show the girls how to use the pads. Once upon receiving these gifts the girls lit up with excitement like I have never seen before. And just seeing the raw emotion and gratitude is something that I am still taken aback by. We then played with the children for a little bit before we had to leave. Unfortunately I could not find my friend Solomon again, but these two boys that could not speak English came to me and were attached at my hip. They both wanted me to hold them and wouldn't let me put them down and they were constantly taking my sunglasses and having me chase them to get them back! After this we left and went back to our lodging. 


This trip has shown me that you can only know true happiness after you've been through true despair. These children and people have gone through more as a society than I can even begin to grasp and still, they are the most kind, gentle, and loving people I have ever had the honor to meet. And I am so thankful to be allowed in there presence, because they are teaching me what it means to know true happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment