Thursday, February 26, 2015

A Day of Rest

By: Ben Keffer


Often when I was young and hiked the woods around my house I would dream of adventure on the plains of Africa. Fighting lions, running from crocodiles, riding zebras and getting home before nightfall so mom would not get mad. So here I am as an adult, finally in Africa, doing things I could not have imagined as a child. Of course, on our one day of rest we chose to wake up at 6 a.m. and head to Murchison Falls National Park and the 10 year old boy walking through those Ohio woods with just his imagination that is buried in my distant memories could not have been happier.

Driving through the park as an adult was not as I imagined as a child , I fought no lions and road no zebras. Instead what I experienced were a million examples of the artistry and majesty of our creator God. Each giraffe was a brilliantly placed brushstroke, every elephant a symphony, all perfectly orchestrated by God. I observed as nature absent from man functioned perfectly as it had been perfectly created and began to wonder what my place is in this world. I thought of my time spent in schools with the youth of Uganda and I could not help but see so clearly that we as humans are the broken piece of this world.

However, even while these thoughts swirled through my mind, I was still filled with a sense of hope. Because God, the creator of this world can heal our broken hearts and fill them with hope and he can use our hands to heal the brokenness in countless others that we will come into contact with as our time in Africa continues. 

No comments:

Post a Comment