Sunday, December 20, 2015

Uganda--Twelve Years Apart

By: Keith Jenkins

After finding out about Fields of Dreams in September 2015 when the time for travel to Uganda finally came I really didn’t know what to expect. I’m so happy that I’ve made it and the experience is more than I could have possibly imagined.

Having said the above I was in Uganda in 2003 and have always wondered what might have changed in the 12 years since then. The opportunity to see Kampala again and now Wakiso district has been wonderful.


Mike Warneke has really inspired me and it his drive and passion that is central to Fields of Dreams. Although it is the amazing Uganda staff who facilitate the smooth running and the further reaching out of this fantastic organization.

Keith with members of the Youth Council
Furthermore, a group of incredible young Ugandans are truly a credit to their country and their communities. It is the Fields of Dreams “Youth Council” who have made the Hope Cup happen in 2015 and I feel so proud to have met them and to be a small part of this event.

To see the happiness on all the children’s faces playing soccer (football as I am a European) has been a joy to behold. The whole tournament has been played in a competitive yet friendly spirit throughout U12, U14, U16 and U20. From seeing so many children at the ground on the first day, having arrived a bit later than expected, to the dramatic penalty shoot-out victory for Fields of Dreams U20 Central Region leading to rapturous, emotional celebrations the whole tournament has been awe-inspiring.

Goalkeeper Training
In between the busy schedule of matches there was opportunity for some fabulous training with Coach Jean from Queen’s Park Rangers Ladies and also Jeff Oleck, a member of the December team, gave some great goal-keeping training. This training was at Wakiso Children’s School of Hope and it was wonderful to see the difference that Fields of Dreams has made and will continue to make to individual schools like New Kabaale Busega, and St. Kazito Primary School.

Beyond the football the ethos of Fields of Dreams is to build community and further, “Men of Integrity” and “Women of Substance” and I will never forget the many I met in Uganda in December 2015.

The rallying call of the U20s will also always stay with me, “I train, to encourage and inspire others. I train, because I have a purpose on this earth. I train, to make the world a better place. I train, to bring my dreams within reach. I train, to be successful in life. I train, because I am a champion!”

Thank you to Fields of Dreams Uganda and the wonderful young people who work with you.
“Never give up hope, always follow your dreams and make those dreams big”.

Keith Jenkins

No comments:

Post a Comment